Wednesday, November 7, 2007

MS - Scott McCloud

I found this "essay" both interesting and entertaining. Before reading this, I had been stereotyping comics like most other people. I thought that they were just for kids and only dealt with superheroes and such. McCloud really opened my eyes on that big mistake. Before, I would have looked at a picture of a wall of heiroglyphics in my history book as just that, heiroglyphics; but now I'll see them as a sort of comic strip.

Although his eventual definition of comics is a bit lengthy, he seems to cover all the bases without making it too broad or too narrow. That's a bit tough to accomplish, but I think that we can apply it to our own definition of the term we've chosen for our essay. A precise definition isn't the main goal of our essay but I think it creating one will play some sort of role, at least in forming our ideas and structure within our drafts.

No comments: