Sunday, November 4, 2007

MS "The Loss of the Creature"

This was a bit difficult to get through at times but I did find it pretty interesting. Walker Percy's focus is what true and actual discovery really is. I could easily relate to his passage about trying to get "it" from a vacation. When I was in Yellowstone National Park I often felt the same way. It seemed like my experience was already laid out by the travel books and guides that my mom brought along. I tried to find "it" by travelling off the path by myself to discover what Yellowstone was supposed to really mean. I thought I was successful but after finishing this essay I'm not so sure I was. I never tried to find an "expert" so that they could say my experience was genuine and truly "it," but Percy's words make me think that I was still missing out on something. On a different note, I had never really viewed education as a "package." I think that's quite an intriguing way to look at things. It really makes you think and question.

No comments: