Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nietzsche - Genealogy of Morals

Before I started, I thought that this would take me forever to get through and that it would be a very tough read. Luckily, I was quite wrong. I really liked reading this genealogy; I may actually finish the rest of it this weekend. I found it highly intriguing. Tracing the origins "good" and "evil" is a surprisingly interesting topic! After reading this six sections, I think that one of Nietzsche's main ideas is that historically "good" has always been tied to words that were associated with the nobility, aristocracy, and high-level people. Consequently, "bad" comes from the association with commonality, plainness, and vulgarity. It's so remarkable to see how our current language and prejudices have been defined and shaped by the past. It's absolutely fascinating in my opinion.

No comments: