Monday, October 8, 2007

BB (97-109)

"Looking Around"

Lamott states that in order to be a good writer you need to be able to view the world around you as if you were an outsider looking in. I think that's the best way to be objective and really grasp and understand what's happening around you. I sometimes find myself doing just that while I'm doing something monotonous. I look around and try to see myself and those near me through someone else's eyes. It's kind of a trippy sort of experience. It gives you a completely different perspective on people and the world and can easily be the jumping off point for writing.

"Moral Point of View"

In this chapter Lamott discusses how you really need to be passionate about what you're writing in order to get any "truth" or moral idea across to the reader. This relates to my previous post about the quote in Sommers' essay. Lamott states how "truth doesn't come out in bumper stickers." It takes much more than a few words or sentences to fully capture the truth. That's very similar to what I was talking about in that blog. I also thought it was interesting when she brought up how people tend to find the "bad guys" much more fascinating than the typical good guy. I totally agree. I'd much prefer to analyze a bad guy's actions than a good guy's.

No comments: