Tuesday, October 16, 2007

MS (537-544) - "From a Native Daughter"

This was a very intriguing essay especially since I'm such a lover of history. This may sound somewhat odd but I actually felt a bit ashamed after reading it. I'd never realized how ignorant historians can be. I know that their goal isn't to neglect a group of people, but seeing Trask's story is heartbreaking at least from a historical perspective. To blatantly avoid capturing the true nature of the Hawaiians is horrible and inexcusable. I'm sure her story isn't limited only to Hawaii. I'm willing to guarantee that people from other colonized nations have similar stories to tell. Although most of the blame in Trask's case can be placed on the white Western historians, I think that her criticisms of historians in general can refer to all oppressor nations and cultures. History is always told by the conquerors and winners. Thus, the "real" story and history may never be told. Her essay really shed light on the issues that I may have to deal with and overcome later on in my career. Her story has definitely made a lasting impact on me.

No comments: