Wednesday, October 10, 2007

MS - Rodriguez

I actually found this essay really fascinating. Plus, I believe it's really important to understand his ideas right now with all of the problems with immigration from Mexico and such. I think the main reason why I like his essay so much is that I have a quite a few friends who are multi-racial. They've told me about how they struggle to find a term or name for themselves. I also totally agree with Rodriguez's statement about how America is no longer simply a black and white situation. We have so many different races and ethnicities but no one seems to want to realize that or deal with the situation. I'm one of the people that he mentioned who say that immigrants represent "true" Americans who really demonstrate what being American actually means. I guess I'm one of the romantics when it comes to America and its history of immigration. In the end, I think all Americans should learn and discuss the ideas that Rodriguez talks about in this essay. It's important for all of us to understand how our nation is changing and how we can accept that change.

No comments: