Monday, September 24, 2007

BB (195-201)

Past teachers have always stressed the importance of voice in an essay. In the days of the district-wide essay rubric, voice was always the easiest points to score. Today, when I think about this essay on art, I struggle with finding my “voice.” I never really know whether it’s there in my paper or not. Lamott made me realize that voice is truly the key to your story, or in our case, essay. Although, I think that voice is harder to grasp in an essay than in creative writing.

I also don’t want to get stuck in the mode of using another person’s essay as the precise model for mine. The problem is that it’s just so easy to use another person’s structure and organization. It takes the stress out of creating your personal structure. I’ll just have to focus on getting some ideas and tips from the Making Sense essays rather than completely borrowing the set-up.

No comments: