Thursday, September 6, 2007

Reading Reflection (BB 3-20)

First let me say that I was originally expecting Bird by Bird to be a pretty dull book. Boy was I wrong! Any book that has “Shitty First Drafts” as a chapter title cannot possibly be qualified as dull! I love her style because it seems as if she’s simply speaking with you face to face. It’s undeniably a nice change from the books for my other classes. Anyways, onto the rest of the assignment.

For me the concept of the one-inch picture frame is absolutely brilliant! Who wouldn’t want to make the task of writing less daunting? The answer: no one! Taking things step by step rather than obsessing over the overwhelming “big picture” is truly the way to go. It’ll save time, frustration, and tons of stress. Sign me up! I definitely plan on using Lamott’s philosophy as I work through all of my assignments and papers in every single one of my classes. If only I could have discovered this earlier and saved some hectic times in high school.

I also really like the fact that Lamott is completely honest with you when it comes to writing. She tells you straight out that it’s difficult and it’s going to feel excruciatingly painful at times. Realizing this will only make it easier to deal with the hell that one will often runs into as a writer. Once again, I believe this idea can be applied to daily life. Nothing comes easy, and the sooner that we all realize that, the sooner we can move on and actually begin enjoying life. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of this book so I can not only improve my writing skills but improve my overall life as well. Thank you English 170 also known as the Writing Seminar!

No comments: