Monday, September 17, 2007

"The Wall, the Screen, and the Image" by Marita Sturken

I visited the Vietnam War Memorial over a year ago with my AP Government and Politics class. It was an extremely moving experience. Seeing all of the personal momentos and pictures that people left there was so touching. I specifically remember there was a box of Dots (the candy) left by one of the engraved names and there was a note about how it was the soldier's favorite candy before he was killed. For some reason that specific memory sticks out in my mind.

I had heard about the controversy over the designer and the additional statues but I had never realized how many different sides there were to the issue. I guess I just never imagined that Vietnman veterans would heatedly argue over a memorial dedicated to them and their lost friends and comrades. That kind of shocked me.

I also never thought to analyze the precise design of the wall. While I was there I did pick up on the symbolism of the reflection the wall creates, but I hadn't even thought about the way it cuts into the earth and the color of the actual wall. I think it's a bit sad that people were so divided over the creation of this memorial. I would think, or at least hope, that people would unite to create a meaningful remembrance of a finished war, but apparently I was wrong.

No comments: