Sunday, September 16, 2007

BB (21-32) & Web Articles

“Shitty First Drafts”

I can completely relate to the problem of shitty first drafts. I had always feared that I was the only one who suffered from this issue. It’s so nice to know that everyone, even professionals, create almost worthless first drafts. I just hope that I can get to those third drafts where everything is perfected and neat.

“Perfectionism”

Before I even began this chapter, I knew that I could definitely learn something from it. I definitely consider myself a perfectionist to the fullest extent. This semester I’m going to work on reducing the constant voice that perfectionism puts inside my head. It will be tough but I’ll do my best to put these thoughts behind me.

“How to Say Nothing in 500 Words”

It’s so easy to fall into the trap of simply restating the general arguments that everyone will have in their essay; I know I have many times. It seems that writing about something unusual will be a bit more difficult but I think that the actual writing will be easier. If you’re writing about something from a different perspective, then it will become more interesting to you and therefore easier and more enjoyable to write about. I will attempt to take a less obvious side from now on.

“Freewriting”

Freewriting is one of the best ways to get your ideas out. You focus only on the task at hand and just keep going till it no longer comes. I’ve already used the practice of freewriting when I was creating my own personal definition of art. I just kept writing all of my thoughts about art until I couldn’t think of anymore. This practice is my favorite way to “get the ball rolling” as they say.

No comments: